Our founder Bl Frederic Ozanam relied on his great faith and the efforts of Sister Rosalie Rendu to give him the strength to go out to the slums where the poor people of Paris lived. He not only brought them food and clothing, but more importantly gave them hope that their situation would change for the better with the help of God.
The main responsibility of Council/Conference Spiritual Advisors is to lead the members in increasing their spirituality.
“We also seek to deepen our spirituality and the mutual love and support amongst members, so that, seeing how we serve those in need with one mind and heart, people are attracted to the Society and to Christ who animates it.”
(The Rules and Statutes of the Society of Saint Vincent de Paul, Canada, p.11)
Spiritual Advisors and Presidents can accomplish this goal in a number of ways:
- Ensure that Spiritual Advisors are active in their role.
- Ensure that expectations are clearly outlined on our web site.
- Provide mentorship resources.
- Spiritual advisors should provide a spiritual reflection at each Council/Conference meeting.
- Ensure that resources and mentorship opportunities are available on our web site.
Spiritual Advisors have to assist all Council/Conference members in fulfilling the Society’s mission: “to live the Gospel message by serving Christ in the poor with love, respect, justice and joy.” (Rules and Statutes, p. 11)
Serviens in spe,
Hamilton Particular Council Spiritual Advisor