RESOURCES GUIDE INDEX:
1. INFORMATION HAMILTON (redbook)
2. INCOMMUNITIES – Connecting People and Services
- CALL 2-1-1 (free helpline)
3. BENEFIT FINDERS (on line tools to find benefits and services)
4. FOOD ( 12 organizations who distribute free food)
- EMERGENCY SHELTER: MISSION SERVICES
- GOOD SHEPHERD FAMILY CENTRE
- EVICTION: MOUNTAIN LEGAL
- ESSENTIAL AID
- HAMILTON HOUSING HELP CENTRE
6. COMMUNITY HELP:
- ADDICTION CENTRE HAMILTON
- COAST (24 hour crisis outreach)
- ALCOHOLICS ANONYMOUS
- ALCOHOL, DRUG AND GAMBLING
- MOUNTAIN MEDICAL WALK-IN CLINIC
- GAMMA DYNACARE
- DENTAL SEVICES AND DENTAL HEALTH BUS
- HEALTHY SMILES ONTARIO
- ONTARIO SENIORS DENTAL CARE PROGRAM
- THE MANOR COUNSELLING CENTRE: CATHOLIC FAMILY SERVICES
- RED CROSS OPIOID HARM REDUCTION TRAINING
8. SOCIETY OF ST VINCENT DE PAUL STORES
9. SEEDS OF HOPE
To download the Resources Guide, click HERE
“Information Hamilton connects people with the services and resources they need. Information is
available online, by telephone, and in-person. It includes community organizations, government programs, social services, cultural groups, employment and training, counselling and support, housing, legal, health, children’s services, older adult’s services, and more.”
- 55 York Blvd., Hamilton
- Phone: 905-528-8127 for Community Information
- Email: email@example.com
- Website: https://redbook.hpl.ca/
INCOMMUNITIES – Connecting People with Resources
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Website: www.incommunities.ca
- Click for Facebook page –>Facebook
- Click for Twitter –> Twitter
- Ontario 211 is a free helpline that connects you to community and social services in your area 24 hours a day, 365 days a year, in over 150 languages.
- Central South Region Tel: 905-682-6611, Toll-Free: 1-800-263-3695
- Website: https://211centralsouth.ca/
BENEFIT FINDERS – Online Tools To Help Find Benefits And Services
- Confidential and does not collect information
- Eligibility for benefits requires up to date tax filings
- Benefits and Programs Finder Government of Ontario
- Benefits Finder Government of Canada
- Benefits Finder Prosper Canada
Neighbor to Neighbor Food Bank:
- Phone: 905-574-1334
- 28 Athens St. (3rd street west of Upper James off Mohawk)
- Open Monday, Tuesday & Wednesday 9:30am – 12noon & 12:30 – 3:30 pm, Thursday 1:00pm – 4:00 pm & 4:30 – 7:30 pm
- Note: Closed all day Friday
Out of the Cold program:
- FREE MEALS – Everyone welcome for a sit down meal.
- Location: Stephen on the Mount right beside Juravinski Hospital: 625 Concession St.
- Open every Wednesday evening at 5:00pm – 6:30pm from November to March inclusive
- Ask about grocery bag program (small fee)
- Another Location: Immanuel Christian Reformed Church located at 61 Mohawk Rd. W. Monday: Dinner at 5:00 pm
- Runs FREE BUFFET style food at the old bus terminal (Rebecca and John streets)
- Everyone welcome – every Wednesday evening at 8:00 pm
- All you can eat and take with you.
- Same meals at 9:30 pm at Barton and Birch St.
- There is also food donations on Sunday evenings at the old bus terminal at 8:00 pm & Strachan and Bay St. at 9:00 pm.
- Clothing and Household Item Program
- Phone 905-574-6917
- 1136 West 5th St. Hamilton Hours Monday, Wednesday & Friday 10 am-1 pm.
Good Shepherd: Family Division – Food and Clothing:
- Phone 905 972 9485
- Cannon St. at Ferguson
- Open Monday to Friday 9:00 am – 11:00 am & 1:00 pm – 3:00 pm
- ID needed for each member of family, proof of income and rent receipts to determine eligibility. You will then receive a membership card to use on next visits.
- All low income families are eligible.
Essential Aid and Family Services – Infant Formula and Diaper Bank:
- Providing free infant and children’s essentials to local families in need.
- Assistance provided up to once every 2 months.
- Phone: 289-799-9514
- Address: 100 Main St E Suite 109 Hamilton
- Open Mon, Wed, Fri 10 am-12 noon
Salvation Army (The): Community Food Bank, Christmas Help Program, Hope line:
- Phone: 905-540-1888
- 80 Bay St N Hamilton
- Open Mon-Wed, Fri 9:30 am-11:45 am, 1 pm-3:30 pm, Thu 9:30 am-11:45 am
Restoration House Hamilton:
- The food bank offers emergency food assistance to all persons living in poverty and with low incomes.
- Phone: 905-527-1622
- 103 MacNab St N Hamilton
- Fri: 12 noon
Living Rock Ministries – Youth Food Bank and Rock Shop:
- Emergency services for youth in the community.
- Provides food, clothing, hospital care packages, baby products and hygiene items.
- Offers nutrition and budgeting programs.
- Provides connection to Wellness Works Coordinator.
- Distributes Christmas Hampers to those in need.
- Phone: 905-528-7625 ext. 259
- 30 Wilson St Hamilton
- Open Tue, Thu 1 pm-4 pm, Wed 1:30 pm-4 pm, Sat 1:30 pm-6 pm
Seventh Day Adventist Church:
- Offers emergency services to families and individuals of any religion to assist in meeting immediate needs.
- Phone: 905-575-8764
- 284 Concession St Hamilton
- Open Wed 6 pm-7 pm
King’s Way Outreach Centre (The) – Food Pantry:
- Grocery baskets provided to those in need upon request as food items are available.
- Phone: 905-296-9473
- 649 King St E Hamilton
- Open Mon-Thu 11 am-12:30 pm, 1:30pm – 3pm
Welcome Inn Community Centre:
Households receive a three-day supply of food. 905-525-5824 40 Wood St E Hamilton Mon, Wed, Fri 11:30 am-2 pm. The food bank can be accessed once per household every 30 days.
DeMazenod Door, St Patrick Parish:
- 440 King st E; 905-522-9828.
- Saturday to Thursday: Breakfast : 10:00-11:00 am; Lunch: 1:00-2:30 pm.
- Friday Bar-B-Q: Breakfast: 10:00-11:00 am; BBQ Lunch: 1:00-2:30 pm.
Mobile App: Too Good To Go (Save Food – Help The Planet)
- purchase food bags at approximately 75% discount. Pay online and pick up.
Emergency Shelter: Mission Services
- 196 Wentworth St. N. (at Barton)
- Phone (Reception): 905-528-4212
- Reception Hours: Mon – Fri 8:30 am to 4:00 pm
Good Shepherd Family Centre:
- 143 Wentworth St. S. (between Stinson & Delaware)
- Phone: 905-528-9442
- Open 9am – 3pm
Eviction: Mountain Legal
- 550 Fennell Ave. E. (@ Upper Wentworth)
- Phone: 905-575-9590
- Phone: 289-799-9514
- 307 King St. E
- Government ID needed
- For infants and children under age of 4 years – they provide food, baby formula & diapers
- Open Monday, Wednesday & Friday between 10:00 am and 12 noon
Hamilton Housing Help Centre – Housing Stability Benefit:
- Phone: 905-526-8100 Effort Square
- 119 Main St E Hamilton
- Open Mon, Tue, Thu, Fri 10 am – 4:30 pm, Wed 12 noon-4:30 pm
- Helps ODSP with low income maintain their housing. ODSP recipients can receive help with last month’s rent, rent arrears and utility arrears. People with low income can receive help with utility & rent arrears.
- 666 Barton St. E.
- Phone: 289-799-2135
COAST: 24 Hour Crisis Outreach and Support Team – Mental Health
- Located in St. Joseph’s Healthcare Hamilton
- 50 Charlton Ave E
- Phone: 905-972-8338
Alcoholics Anonymous: Helpline 905-522-8399
Alcohol, Drug & Gambling:
- 21 Hunter St. Hamilton
- Phone: 905-546-2424 Ext: 3606
Mountain Medical Walk-In Clinic:
- 880 Upper Wentworth St.
- Phone: 905-575-0808
- 989 Fennell Ave. E. Suite 1007
- Phone: 1- 877-849-3637
- 849 Upper Wentworth Street
- Phone: 905-389-3122
Dental: Hamilton Public Health Services & Social Services, Dental Services & Dental Health Bus:
- Phone: 905-546-2489 (CITY)
- Preventative Services (cleanings) 905-546-3566
Healthy Smiles Ontario
- Healthy Smiles Ontario is a government funded dental program that provides free preventative, routine and emergency dental services for children and youth 17 years and under from low income households.
Ontario Seniors Dental Care Program
- Free Routine dental care for income eligible seniors 65 or older, who are residents of Ontario and have no access to any other forms of dental benefits. Find out more at ontario.ca/SeniorsDental
The Manor Counselling Centre:
- Providing support for Abuse, Family Problems, Couples Counselling, Depression, Loss, Separation & Divorce, Stress, Anxiety, Trauma, Parent & Child Relationships and fseap Counselling. Typo – change to free ?
- Book an appointment for Thursday from 11:30am to 6pm at 905-527-3823 ext. 279 or email email@example.com
- Website: www.cfshw.com
Red Cross Opioid Harm Reduction Training – First Aid for Opioid Poisoning Emergencies | Canadian Red Cross:
In the free online First Aid for Opioid Poisoning Emergencies course, you will become knowledgeable and confident in how to respond to an opioid poisoning emergency, including how to administer nasal naloxone. You will learn more about opioids and naloxone and how they affect the body and will explore ways to reduce the influence of stigma. Over 7,000 Canadians died in 2021 from opioid related deaths.
SOCIETY OF ST. VINCENT DE PAUL STORES:
- Vinnies Feel Good Shopping: 200 Parkdale Ave. N. (at Britannia), 905-549-3902
- Hamilton West-Barton St. Store: 429 Barton St. E, Hamilton, 905-522-7045
- Dunnville Store: 116 Lock St. East, Dunnville, 905-701-9999
SEEDS OF HOPE:
Registered Education Savings Plan (RESP) Canada Learning Bond
The Canada Learning Bond is $2000 that is available from the Federal Government to be deposited in an RESP for children born after Jan 1, 2004, whose family’s net income is less than $49,020 to help pay for post secondary education. Learn more about the CLB here.
HOUSING: (Click HERE to download housing options)